New To Medicare?

Do you know what Part A or Part B is?  What is a Medicare Supplement ( Medigap ) Policy? No?  Kinda?  If you need more information on Medicare Supplements you have come to the right place. See our resource below or give us a call so we can explain everything to you in plain english. Call us at 888.736.5995 today.

Medicare Plans are Standardized, So Shopping for a Plan is Easy!

Compare benefits from each Medigap plan A – N in the chart below. As of 2018, there are ten standardized plans (see below) to choose from, and they are identified by letters A through N. They are Plans A, B, C, D, F, G, K, L, M, and N. These plans are sold by many different insurance companies and pricing varies.

All plans that start with the same letter offer the SAME benefits, regardless of the insurance company that sells it. One of the key things to remember when shopping for a Medigap plan is that the only difference between Medigap policies with the same letter sold by different insurance companies is the COST. For example, Plan F from one company has the same benefits as Plan F from another company; the only difference between the two plans is the cost.


Medicare Supplement Insurance is Also Known As Medigap Insurance

Medigap is a private health insurance plan that helps pay for health care expenses (copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles) that are not covered by Original Medicare. It fills the “gaps” in Medicare coverage and saves patients from potentially high bills and excess charges. It works in conjunction with original medicare to give you the most comprehensive coverage.

Why Should I Get Medicare Supplement Insurance?

While Original Medicare provides good protection for your health care costs, it does not cover all of your medical expenses. After you meet your Part B deductible ($183 in 2018), Medicare will pay for 80% of Medicare-approved health care outpatient expenses . As the patient, you will be responsible for paying the remaining 20%, which is where having a Medigap policy can help. A Medigap policy supplements the gap in coverage left by Medicare and protects you against the risk of potentially high medical bills.  If you are hospitalized, Part A pays about 80% of Medicare covered expenses after your Part A deductible ($1316 in 2018). There is no cap on the maximum amount, so if there is a $100,000 hospital bill, you could be on the hook for over $21,000 without a supplement insurance policy for medicare!

When Should I Get a Medigap Plan?

Medigap plans are available to people who already have Medicare or about to become eligible for Medicare. You can apply for a Medigap plan up to 6 months before your 65th birthday and are enrolled in Medicare Part B. Many people choose to sign up for a Medigap plan before they turn 65 so they can avoid a gap in coverage. Since your Medicare usually starts on the first day of the month of your 65th birthday, you will want to make sure you have everything in place, so starting the process sooner than later is usually the best plan.


Other Tools & Resources

Important Phone Numbers

Medicare – 800-633-4227
Social Security Medicare Apply for Part A or Part B hotline –  800-772-1213

As always you can reach out to us for help with anything at :  888-736-5995


The official Medicare